Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Travels…Carnegie Library #62

This 1907 Paso Robles, California Carnegie is a jewel!

DSCN1107DSCN1079

Stairs lead up to the entrance-a style typical of the Carnegie Library. 

DSCN1102

An example of the exterior of the library.

DSCN1091

A prominent feature of many of the Carnegie Libraries is a fireplace.  Most, if not all, have this portrait of Andrew Carnegie somewhere in the library, often above the fireplace where this one is located.

DSCN1084

The library now houses the Paso Robles Historical Society Museum and has been beautifully restored following extensive damage sustained during a 2003 earthquake. It re-opened in 2009. Rich dark wood pillars, window trim and bookcases and original schoolhouse-type lighting are prominent features.

DSCN1085 

Bannister leading down to what is now the research center but was originally the children’s reading room..

DSCN1093

The two docents I talked with were so enthusiastic about the building.  I always ask permission before taking any photos but before I could even open my mouth they told me I must take pictures!  (And While I chatted, took pictures and bought two note cards in the gift section Gary and Jorden circled and circled and circled the square in the truck and 5th wheel. (It is almost impossible to find a 50’ long parking space in the middle of town!)

And so this brings my count up to 62 Carnegies that I have visited and photographed.  Let’s see now, 1689 were built and I don’t know just how many have been razed. (about 57 in California with 84 remaining) but by any count I still have a BUNCH to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment