|Make a Smilebox collage|
Thursday, November 26, 2009
As Thanksgiving Day rolls around,
It brings up some facts, quite profound.
We may think that we're poor,
Feel like bums, insecure,
But in truth, our riches astound.
We have friends and family we love;
We have guidance from heaven above.
We have so much more
Than they sell in a store,
We're wealthy, when push comes to shove.
So add up your blessings, I say;
Make Thanksgiving last more than a day.
Enjoy what you've got;
Realize it's a lot,
And you'll make all your cares go away.
by Karl Fucshe
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Will, our dinosaur guy, ordered dinosaur chicken nuggets from the kid's menu. When they arrived he looked them over closely to make sure they were indeed dinosaur shapes and then proceeded to name each type of dinosaur.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Having said this, I think: hmmm, let's see, everyday I get up with a plan and everyday the plan changes! Is this serenity? Yes, I think so. Serenity isn't dull and boring, it is more akin to loving the day and whatever that day brings.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
Then this morning I tripped and fell, skinned both of my hands, right elbow and may have hurt my knee - its swollen. To make matters worse I did it right in front of three construction workers - quite embarrasing.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
It immediately became our most important thing to do when we saw that it was playing in Las Vegas. Yes, even right up there with Gary's gambling (he calls it gaming,) that's how much we want to see it. And, in Gary's words, it was the best show he's ever seen! Yes, better than Lion King, yes, better than Phantom of the Opera, yes, better than Fiddler on the Roof, yes, better than 42nd St, yes, better than...you get the idea.
The show was an interesting biography, the ups and downs, of the Four Seasons group with the music worked into it. Did you know that Joe Pesci, yes the famous actor before he became a successful actor and just a Jersey boy himself, was instrumental in their early years? Casting of the actors was great; it was hard to remember that Frankie was not really THE Frankie! (Of course the real Frankie is now 75 years old!)
The next day while we were shopping at the Premium Outlets Gary wandered into a music store and bought a two-CD album so we are Frankie Valli & The 4 Seasons complete!
Thursday, October 01, 2009
Started the day very early with a 3:00 a.m. 5.1 earthquake. As earthquakes go it felt like a very long one, a series of hard shakes. I later read online that there was a swarm of them (what does that mean?!) which were centered in Keeler, (California) about 7 miles from Boulder Creek RV Resort in Lone Pine, our home this week. We both woke up long enough to say "Is that an earthquake" "Yes" and we went back to sleep. In general Californians don't get too excited about earthquakes and no, there aren't any big holes in the ground and California didn't fall into the Pacific Ocean. NOTE: when I started this entry there had been one quake, since then there have been at least five more strong ones and dozens of tiny ones that we haven't felt! On my Facebook page everyone is saying "you need to get the h*** out of there!
We drove up to Mt Whitney's Portal. Elevation at the Portal where hikers take off to hike up to Mt Whitney's peak is 8,365 feet. Of course, you know us, we didn't hike the additional 6,000+ feet to reach the top of the 14,496' peak--highest point in the contiguous U.S. And, knowing us, you know that we ate...the Whitney Portal Store has good burgers and delicious fries!
We did take a short hike up to the sparkling waterfall. The water was SO cold that there are icicles on the branches hanging over the water! BRRR.
We'd noticed Horseshoe Meadow on the map so when we got back down from Portal we went to explore. My oh my, 15 miles of switch-backs! When/if I dared look down my stomach took a real turn! So I didn't! Switch-back upon switch-back until we reached Horseshoe Meadow which has an elevation of 10,060'. Could definitely feel the lack of oxygen there!
At both Portal and Horseshoe Meadow we took this sign very seriously...kept looking over our shoulders. But, no we didn't see any bears.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
Today is our anniversary (#47!) This morning when I read one of the comics I follow, Pickles, I thought "Does Brian Cane, the cartoonist, know us? Has he been listening and following our life?"
Yes, caring (sure, we are,) long-term commitment(47 years,) integrity (yes, we both pride ourselves on our integrity) and togetherness (we have lived in a 36' fifth wheel for 15 years without killing each other!) are key to our long lasting marriage. BUT, for years I've always stated that when it all comes down to it the REAL key to our successful marriage is two TV's!
Pickles...do all of my posts contain a food word? umm.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Like Seabiscuit, Burbank is also buried in unmarked grave on the grounds of his home.
Tuesday, August 04, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Last year Don and Lee stopped full time RVing but didn't lose the travel bug. They bought and refurbished this little classic 1977 Boler pull trailer. Isn't it just the cutest? We joke that we could fit the Boler inside our 5th wheel!
Thursday, May 21, 2009
I know... I didn't write these so this is technically not my Blog but I think they could be a mission for life. I was going to pick a favorite but just can't (#32 is good isn't it?)! Ok, so I don't like purple (or red hats, not that they are mentioned)
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement, starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ?In five years, will this matter??
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
42. The best is yet to come.
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Monday, May 11, 2009
I didn't know this at the time but Betty & Gary went to meet ANOTHER dog, her name is Alexa. They really liked her too and said it was a hard decision to make so they went to have a frozen yogurt while they weighed which of us would be their forever dog. Well, I won! They came back for ME....yes, ME!! I have a home again.
Now, here is where it gets even more interesting. It was a very long trip to my new home: 300 miles north and now they tell me that yes, this is my home but we live in a home that moves! In four days we will be moving our home from Morro Bay to Monterey. And we will be doing this moving quite often -- yippee, cause I love to sniff and mark new places -- what a life I will have! I like to sit on Betty's lap while we travel and she likes to have me there too.
I took a walk on the beach yesterday and loved it but definitely do not want to go swimming, no way! Betty & Gary said they are happy about that since we bichons have hair that is not easy to keep up! Speaking of hair, you may not think I look much like a Bichon Frise. That's because I had to have a rather severe haircut when I was rescued. (I am also a little overweight!) Soon I will be a gorgeous 10 lb hunk of white fluff.
Now, here's the next thing I wanted to tell you about. I really liked the name BichonFurKids gave me but have changed it to Dulee. My new family has a human person named Dylan and I REALLY want to have my own distinctive name. I wanted to keep the "D" beginning sound so settled on Dulee - has a nice ring don't you think?
Well, its time for my next nap...I do love to nap.
Tuesday, May 05, 2009
I just came from the DMV and its all registered - ok to drive.
One of those stories you hear about the car being stored in a garage!
So, I now have a poor man's (woman is this case) Porsche!
Saturday, May 02, 2009
Written later in the day - why would I even try to write anything in the morning? Anyone who knows me knows I can NEVER think until after 9:00am!
Sunday, April 19, 2009
I love pickled asparagus so grabbed a jar from the shelf and quickly took it to the counter where Gary was paying for our artichokes and strawberries. When it rang up at $11.99 I thought Gary was going to have "the big one!" I was actually a bit surprised too, thought they would be in the $6 range.
But they are sooo good! And it's always fun to get my husband going!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
We were so fond of him and he is so smart. He took quickly to every training we did with him EXCEPT biting! And he is so cute! But with our flexible full time RVing lifestyle, which includes lots of visitors, we just couldn't see that he would ever be totally rehabilitated.
We are devastated but had to say Good-bye Toby.
Monday, April 06, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
I'm in the Sound booth at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (checking decibel levels for Skip Barber Races,) our home (Escalade fifth wheel) is still at Camping World (convection oven just came in yesterday so they will be installing it today), Toby is at the groomer in Carmel Valley, Gary was out getting mail etc, bought two new batteries for the fifth wheel (which had gone dead last night while we were spending the night at Camping World-30 month batteres which we have had 30 months plus 12 days-boy do they plan that!) when he heard a BIG thunk in the truck so he is at Natale's getting something done (that won't be cheap)
Gary didn't do so well in Tahoe (I think-I don't like to know!)
Oh, woe is us!
THEN...I'm going through my E mails and here is the "Real Simple Magazine" thought for the day! Wonder what our "secret order" is for today?
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
– Carl Jung
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
West Fork of Carson Creek