Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Week of Food. . .Day one

Yesterday I had Red Beans & Rice with water cornbread for lunch at the Cotton Boll Grill in Shreveport...yummy! Oops almost forgot: Southern fried chicken, lima beans and purple hull peas for Gary...he says "best fried chicken ever"

When the waitress asked if I wanted water cornbread or regular cornbread I just stared at her, then said I have no idea what that is but I'll try it and I did and I loved it. When we got home I looked it up on-line: just cornmeal, water, a little salt and sugar mixed with boiling water then shaped into a palm-sized patty ( kind of almond shape) and fried. A little crispy outside. (sounds like poor person's cornbread doesn't it?)

DSCN2064

Hot Water Cornbread Recipe

(found on http://www.grouprecipes.com/26114/hot-water-corn-bread.html)

  • 2 cups corn meal
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (optional but I recommend this)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. sugar or other sweetener (optional)
  • vegetable oil to fry in
How to make it
  • Put the corn meal, salt, and sugar in a bowl that can handle boiling water.
  • Pour the boiling water in slowly, stirring all the while until it makes a thick paste.
  • Use your hands (yes, it's hot but you get used to it) and form the paste into palm sized patties, slipping them carefully into hot oil (we use canola or EVOO).
  • Fry to golden brown, turning once.
  • Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

I may have to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment