Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Week of Thanks--giving

Two days to Thanksgiving Day. . .giving thanks everyday.

“Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.” Lois Wyse

Today I am thankful for generations of dots that connect the lines of my life:  my three children, my four grandchildren, and, as of 2:22 a.m. yesterday, my first great-grandchild.  I am also thankful for the dots that came before me to create a continuous line, my great-grandparents who were gone before I existed, my grandparents, three of whom were still alive and I grew up knowing and caring about, and my parents, particularly my mother.

The birth yesterday of Aubree also made me reminisce about this new great-granddaughter’s connections to the extraordinary women who came before her in our family: my strong grandmothers, Mabel and Lempi; my talented Mom, Martha; smart daughter Kelle; and sweet pea grand-daughter Mary. And to think that Aubree has the same sort of line of connection through her mother Allison! When I found the quote I thought “Wow, Ms. Wyse has already put into perfect words what I have been thinking.”

Aubree yesterday – just a few hours old! Before she was born I called her “Miss Baby Girl.”  Maybe this name will stick?

IMG_0509

The dots are not all girls.  Grandson Jorden and his new daughter.

IMG_0508

This is Papa with our three youngest grandchildren, Stanley, Mary and Will.  Our nickname for these three talented youn’uns is “The Little Ones.”

Gary and I are very sure that God blessed us with the best grandchildren in the world!

IMG_0318

Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers. Proverbs 17:6 ESV.  Ok, I admit I have a teeny little issue with this bible verse. . . I just don’t feel like an aged grandparent.

One thankful Grammie!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your very first -- gasp! -- great-grandchild! You're a very young Grammie, indeed! And you're very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Congratulations on your first great-grandchild! Grandkids are the best! (And greats-!)
    I was looking for that verse the other day, and couldn't find it. I'll be sure to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you are a great grandmother. You are too young. I do have to say that is one beautiful baby girl.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete