Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas books. . .

In addition to loving  the whole of Christmas I have a special affection for Christmas books. These are the Christmas books I have in the Christmas décor bin we carry with us.  I have more in storage but, as you might guess, space is at a premium in the basement hatches of our fifth wheel RV home.DSCN6728

Among my many Little Golden Books are these three 1970’s Christmas books. Did you know that over two billion Little Golden Books have been printed since 1942? DSCN6723Many years ago I developed a special liking for “The Night Before Christmas”  after Gary’s Grandma Lottie gave our two sons (Kelle hadn’t come along yet) this velvety  version of Night Before Christmas. The price on the cover is 39cents.DSCN6563

So, my children’s Great-Grandma Lottie got me started on a tradition that I have continued with my grandchildren Jorden, Stanley, Mary and Will and now, this year, with my first great-granddaughter Aubree.   On their first Christmas I have given each of them a version of Clement C. Moore’s The Night Before Christmas.   The original title of this poem, first published in 1823, was “A Visit from St. Nicholas.” and I’ve also seen it called Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Aubree’s is illustrated by one of my favorite artists Mary Engelbreit.  One of my other favorite illustrators is Jan Brett.DSCN6717 

The Night before Christmas books in my collection.  Cajun Night Before Christmas is a not-so-traditional version I bought in Louisiana.DSCN6577

This version illustrated by Will Moses, grandson of Grandma Moses, included an ornament.

DSCN6747

Of course the best night before Christmas story is found in this book!  As I was taking photos of my Mom’s Bible I was thinking I should place something a little Christmasy, maybe a red ribbon or piece of greenery, on the page.  Low and behold this “The Birth of Jesus Christ” postcard literally popped out of the Bible!  “Mom, how did you do that?”DSCN6738

We all know the final words of the poem:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!

3 comments:

  1. That's a great collection of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you meant children's Christmas books … I love them too. I tend NOT to like grown-up Christmas books though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You carry those with you? Whew.

    Merry Christmas to you.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete