Tuesday, April 16, 2013

To everything there is a season. . .

and a time to every purpose under heaven;

a time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

a time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;

a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

a time to get, and a time to lose;

a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

a time to rend, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and time to speak;

a time to love, and a time to hate;

a time of war, and a time of peace.

I have always liked these eight verses from Ecclesiastes;  have no clue why I relate them to Spring and Easter but I do.  Recently I was reminded of them when the monk Athelstan recited them during a battle scene on History Channel’s The Vikings series.  He seemed to be praying the verses as spears, swords and axes were flying around his head in a very violent conflict. That sure doesn’t relate to Spring and Easter does it?

Some Spring indications around here:

Narcissus from my yard.

DSCN8947Not sure, but these may be orchids!  Vivian plopped this pot in my yard about a year or so ago, no blooms until last week when these beauty’s emerged!DSCN8953

Wild flowers from here at Laguna Seca.  They are very tiny and only bloom for a few weeks in Spring.IMG_0665

 Buttercups. (I only know this because of a newspaper article in our Herald newspaper last week.)

IMG_0666

Aren’t these little violet wildflowers cute?

IMG_0669

 

IMG_0672

 A field of yellow wildflowers with Coast Oaks in the background.

IMG_0674

Again, as I reread the “For everything there is a season. . .” verse I still wonder why I associate it with the Spring season but I do, so I guess that’s that!

Happy Spring to you.

NOTE:  The big mower here at Laguna Seca just came by and mowed down all of the pretty wild flowers (and the weeds that were overpowering them!) Good thing I took these pics a few days ago!

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my most favorite verses of the Bible. sandie

    ReplyDelete