Friday, May 23, 2008

Lempi, my Finnish grandmother

I was just organizing my books (bought too many more at Goodwill yesterday!) I have my Mom's copy of The Kalevala in the back of my book cabinet and was flipping through it when, back in the appendix, "Lempi" jumped out! I had flipped past and had to go back and find it. Well, this is what Lempi means "... this name, today a woman's name but until recently a man's name, occurs in Poems 40, 42, 43, and means 'pet, love, favorite'." Is that cool or what, my Finnish Grandma's name!?

And. . . upon further investigation in another appendix, C., Reference List of Finnish Names Lempi has a name-day in the official Finnish calendar of personal names according to Kustaa Vilkuma. (Nov 24)

Back to my organizing,
Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment